Children are born with innate desires to explore, imagine, build, and question. They are natural learners that need to be provided opportunities to experiment, practice skills in their own ways, and seek new knowledge.
Children are active researchers in looking for and finding answers to their natural curiosity about the world around them. In our STEAM preschool program, we demonstrate respect for curiosity by listening to the children’s comments and questions. We then plan activities and which allow them to ask and answer their own questions.
In order to provide appropriate activities, we use an inquiry-based, project approach through open-ended, child-centered activities. To promote inquiry, curiosity, and a love of learning, hands-on experiences are presented to the children. Through these experiences, they can make predictions, develop hypotheses, and test and question their assumptions.
Our goal is to provide high quality early childhood experiences in a safe, supporting, stimulating environment. Through our developmentally appropriate practices and STEAM philosophy, we help children develop into lifelong learners.
PUSD's STEAM Preschool will operate under the basic philosophy of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Children learn by interacting with each other in a safe, stimulating and social-emotionally nurturing environment.
- All children participating will have access to a safe, accessible, high quality early childhood education.
- The curriculum used will be developmentally appropriate and offer hands-on learning experiences.
- Staff will be caring adults that are knowledgeable and well-trained in both STEAM Practices and Early Childhood Development.
- The Preschool will offer a comprehensive program that supports the development of the whole child – this includes the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive domains.
- The Preschool environment will respect and support diversity and will be all-inclusive.